A drink of water with fresh lemon juice in it is not only refreshing, it can also help to enhance and maintain our health in many natural ways. Of course it is preferable to use organic lemons where possible so that there are not any chemical spray residues on the skin that may have seeped through into the juice itself. We can squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the water or cut thin slices through the whole fruit and leave it in a jug to pour when we need it.
Some people suggest that the lemon water should be warm as it is less of a shock to the body and requires less energy to process, but really the main benefit will be in the lemon rather than if it is warm or not.
So here are just some of the benefits you can gain from lemon water. Add your own in the comments box below if you like.
1. Lemon water boosts your immune system – the Vitamin C in lemons helps fight bacteria, parasites, fungi and viruses. It’s therefore great to drink when you have a cold or flu. Most of us will have come across the ginger-lemon-honey in hot water combo that is so soothing when we have a cold. Lemons help to reduce the amount of phlegm we produce as well. Vitamin C also helps to absorb iron which serves an important role in immune function.
2. Lemon contains a good amount of Potassium which is important for the healthy function of your brain, nerves, heart, and muscles. Potassium may curb elevated blood pressure by contributing to more flexible arteries, and by helping the body get rid of excess sodium. Sodium promotes fluid retention, which may result in higher blood pressure.
3. It aids digestion and relieves symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, belching and feeling bloated. Lemon juice flushes out toxins and helps the liver to produce bile which is important in the digestion of fat. It also increases muscle contractions in your intestines helping to ensure regular bowel movements to help the elimination of toxins and waste material.
Fruit Infused Water: 80 Vitamin Water Recipes for Weight Loss, Health and Detox Cleanse
4. Lemon water helps relieve the pain of swollen joints and gout because it helps dissolve the uric acid crystals that can accumulate in joints and cause immense pain.
5. Lemon water helps you achieve weight-loss. It is high in pectin fibre which helps prevent hunger cravings by absorbing water and creating a feeling of fullness. It distends the stomach and triggers stretch receptors which send signals out to your brain, telling it your stomach is full. In return, your brain triggers the release of hormones that extend the sense of satiety. Pectin’s gelatinous mass also slows down gastric emptying, which means it takes longer for food to leave your stomach and enter the small intestine. This action further contributes to feeling full and satisfied. Pectin is also fermented by bacteria in the large intestine, which supports good bacteria and produces energy which can then be used by the colon.
6. Lemon water promotes heart-health. The Vitamin C helps to lower blood cholesterol levels reducing the risk of atherosclerosis, lowering blood pressure and the Potassium in lemon water, in combination with Sodium, helps ensure the electrical activity of the heart is working properly.
7. It’s great for your skin! Lemon water helps by providing the Vitamin C needed to repair damaged skin cells and reduce the development of blemishes, wrinkles etc. It also gets rid of toxic substances from the blood and so they don’t need to find their way out through the skin so much, thus preventing the formation of acne, blackheads and skin infections.
You have our permission to reprint this article via creative commons license on condition that you attribute us with a live backlink to this webpage.
What other benefits of lemon water are you aware of?